Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thing #13: Google Drive

I all the time when I was an undergraduate (although I think it might have been called something else then) and Google Drive was wonderful for when we had to write those group papers.  A terrible undertaking.  How can you make a 30 page paper with four different people writing it, each with wildly and sometimes non-existent writing styles sound like one voice?  It was trying.   But, without the help of Google Docs it was a manageable task.  I could edit at 2 a.m., the early riser could comment and edit at 6 a.m. while I slept, the late sleeper could pick up at 11 a.m., and the late night coffee drinker could add his two cents at around midnight.  The paper could be edited and developed around the clock, without having to schedule group meetings to collaborate.  It was wonderful!


This tool did have it's drawbacks though... formatting.  At the end of the paper, it would always be some unlucky individuals task to take the mildly formatted Google Doc version and turn it into the professor's desired format.  Microsoft word will always have its place in the world as long as Google Doc has severely limited formatting options.

Here is a link to a Google Sheet I created which shows part of a worksheet I developed in Excel for my Chemistry students that I am long term substituting for.  Again, here the issue was formatting.  Limited border options, and does anyone know how to make subscripts and superscripts using Google Sheets?  However, as I mentioned before this is an excellent tool for collaboration, and would encourage my students to utilize this tool for group projects.

Other productivity tools such as Zoho have their place in the world too, this one in particular could be very beneficial for businesses, especially those with satellite offices.  I would be more likely to use Google Drive given my familiarity with it and its applicability to the world of education.



No comments:

Post a Comment