Friday, December 6, 2013

Thing #18: Hash Tags and Twitter

I've been pretty successful at avoiding Twitter until today.  I just never really saw a need or use for it given I already have a Facebook.  My first week of long-term subbing, I had written on the board an arrow drawn to the atomic number of an element and wrote "# protons, # electrons" to indicate the atomic number states the number of protons and number of electrons found in an atom of that element.  Immediately I had several students asking me why I was writing hash tag protons and hash tag electrons.  When I explained it was a number sign, they asked me to write "# of..." so they wouldn't be confused.  This experience solidified my annoyance with Twitter, not to mention the graffiti of hash tags on Facebook.

However, I made a twitter account.  I had trouble locating anyone I knew on it, so I am now following the Kansas City Chiefs, the Weather Channel, and Justin Timberlake simply for making this video about hash tags.  When I searched #chemistry I found a lot about the People's Choice Awards.  However, after some digging I did find this article which was very interesting on the use and benefits of iPads in math and science classes.

I believe it is important for educators to be aware and familiar with social networking sites as it is such an integral part of our students' lives.  However, I see their functionality very limited within a classroom setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment